Saturday, October 29, 2011

Friendship

God calls me to be a good friend to many--to be a friend to all His people (all people on earth) whom I meet.

In regards to friendship, my study bible says:
"Love unconditionally." ~Proverbs 17:17
"Be available for advice." ~Proverbs 27:9
"Speak the truth." ~Proverbs 27: 5-6
"Be loyal." ~Proverbs 16:28
"Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God." ~Romans 15:7

My bible also says: "Maybe it's more important to be a friend than to have one."

My goal is to be the best friend I can be to as many people as I can. Even if I don't get an equal amount of support in return from those I befriend--If I put more into friendships than I get out of them, that's fine. Because my worth is in Christ--above all else, above all people, but especially above all things in my life, Christ matters most. He loves me so much more than I'll ever know.

I pray that everyone on His earth will know and feel Christ's abundant love. My prayer is that Christ would shine His light through me so brightly that when others see me and interact with me, they can't help but notice something special. I pray that Christ's light would project through me onto all whom I meet. Whether I only see/interact with someone once, such as in a public setting, or whether I see a particular person frequently: a family member, friend or classmate--no matter who I meet and no matter how long or short they stay in my life, I pray that my faith will be an example to them: I want my faith to be an example for all people.

I truly believe that laughter is the best medicine: no matter what one's problems are, if one can learn to laugh about them, things will improve. To me, laughter is the first step anyone must take in order to improve his/her quality of life. I hope I make all of the people in my life laugh--even those aforementioned people in public with whom I may not be likely to interact with more than once. If I can even just make someone smile, if I can brighten anyone's day, my days brightens, too.

Here are a few verses which offer a glimpse at what God says about laughter:
Psalm 126:2
Then our mouth was filled with laughter, and our tongue with shouts of joy; then they said among the nations, “The Lord has done great things for them.”
Genesis 21:6
And Sarah said, “God has made laughter for me; everyone who hears will laugh over me.”  

Psalm 4:7
You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and wine abound.

God desires for all people to rely on Him: to understand that we aren't meant to go through life without trusting in Him and requesting His help. He is with us through all of our challenges; He stands by us in life's darkest moments. His love overflows upon us at all times, no matter what sin we have committed, God doesn't care: because His love NEVER fails.

In our darkest moments, God may be hard to find, but we must know that He is there always; He is a beacon shining to us, and He is desperately hoping that we will see His light. At times, His light may seem dim, but it only seems this way: in truth, His light is shooting off fireworks in the sky. God is shining His light for all to see, but we sometimes let our fears, challenges, and situations negatively affect us so that we are blinded from seeing God's light.

That being said, God wants us to remember that He is there and to patiently present our requests to Him. These verses are important to keep in mind:

Psalm 138:8
“The Lord will work out his plans for my life--for your faithful love, O Lord, endures forever.”

Ephesians  3:20
“God can do anything, you know--far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams!”

Luke 11:9
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you."

Isaiah 40:31
"Those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint."

Psalm 37:4
"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart."

Psalm 37: 23-24
“If the Lord delights in a man’s way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand.”

Ecclesiastes 11:10
"So then, banish anxiety from your heart and cast off the troubles of you body..."

1 Peter 5:7
"Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you."

and last, but not least (this is one of my favorites!!): "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." ~Philippians 4:6-7

Back to my topic, friendship: Only God knows how far gestures of kindness go: we may see our gestures of kindness as small, especially those gestures which only take a moment or two out of our day. But I believe that to God, no gesture of kindness is considered too small. We, as God’s people, comprise His body on earth (1 Corinthians 12). Each of us plays a unique part in God’s plan; each of us is the only individual created by Him to complete the specific plan we are each called to. Our hands and hearts do the work that God can’t physically do: the work that He does in spirit by calling us to do things for His purpose.

“Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.” ~Proverbs 19:21

“But what happens when we live God’s way? He brings gifts into our lives…things like affection for others, exuberance about life, serenity…we find ourselves involved in loyal commitments.”~Galations 5:22-23

 And I’d like to end here, with this verse:
“Do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” ~Joshua 1:9

May…”The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.” ~Numbers 6:24-26

No comments:

Post a Comment